The Nakhodka City Court has put six North Korean fishermen, who attacked border guards in the Russian territorial waters, under two-month arrest.
“Six materials concerning North Korean fishermen have been processed, and the defendants have been put under two-month arrest. The court will be hearing four more cases today,” a spokesman for the court told Interfax.
In his words, the four cases were referred to the court on Monday. They will be heard shortly.
It was reported earlier that North Korean fishing ships were seen poaching marine bio-resources in the Russian exclusive economic zone of the Sea of Japan on the evening of September 17.
“The North Korean poachers fiercely resisted actions of the inspection team of the Federal Security Service’s border department in the Primorye territory, and four officers sustained injuries of various degrees of severity, including one who suffered gunshot wounds, as a result,” the press service of the Russian Investigative Committee said.
It emerged later that one of the North Korean poachers who attacked the Russian border guards died in hospital.
The Far Eastern Transport Department of the Russian Investigative Committee is probing a criminal case on charges of an attempt at life of a law enforcement officer.
On September 23, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Igor Morgulov and North Korean charge d’affaires a.i. in Moscow Jing Jong Heb discussed the incident involving the detention of North Korean vessels in the Sea of Japan.